Flatpicking Essentials Vol. 8: Improvisation (Part III) & Introduction to Swing and Jazz Soloing
by Dan Miller & Tim May
The eighth and final book in the Flatpicking Essentials series teaches you how to begin to play swing and jazz tunes in the context of a flatpick jam, including how to improvise over swing and jazz chord changes! Includes how to study and utilize scales and arpeggios in the context of using them as "road maps" for improvisation, examples of how to build from a simple song melody to a jazz style arrangement, and three variations each of ten standard swing and jazz tunes. Great stuff!
Availability: Out of stock sku: 475-12
top of page...
Table of Contents:
Part 1: Improvisation (Part III)
- Revisiting Scale & Arpeggio Practice
- Scale and Arpeggio Pattern Checklist
- Major Arpeggios
- Circle of Fourths Arpeggio Patterns
- Major 7 Arpeggios
- Major 6 Arpeggios
- Major 9 Scales and Arpeggios
- Revisiting Modes
- Modes Examples
- "Rights of Man"
- "June Apple"
- "Swallow Tail Jig" "Cluck Old Hen" Mode Study
- Modes - Brightest to Darkest
- Mixolydian Mode & Seventh Chord Arpeggios
- Seventh Chord Arpeggios
- Working with "Alabama Jubilee"
- Aeolian Mode & Minor Chord Arpeggios
- vi - V7 - I Exercises
- Minor Seventh Arpeggios
- ii7 - V7 - IMaj7 Exercise
- Dorian Mode
- ii - V7 - I Exercises
- ii - V7 - I Exercises and the Dorian Mode
- Practice Patterns
- Minor Sixth Arpeggios
- Minor Sixth Arpeggio Practice Progression
- Arpeggio Practice Over Common Chord Progressions
- Practice with a Jazz Progression
- Sample Jazz Chord Progression
- Jazz Chord Progression Solo Example
- Jazz Progression #1
- Jazz Progression #1 Solo Example
- Jazz Progression #2
- Jazz Progression #3
- Jazz Progression #4
- Jazz Progression #5
- Part 1 Summary
Part 2: Swing and Jazz Tunes
- Flaticking Swing: Fake it `Til You Make it
- "Red Wing"
- "Avalon": Moving From Melody to Swing
- "Avalon" Melody
- "Avalon" First Variation
- "Avalon" Second Variation
- "Avalon" Third Variation
- "Avalon" Fourth and Fifth Variations
- "12th Street Rag"
- "12th Street Rag" Melody
- "12th Street Rag" Improvisation
- "After You've Gone"
- "After You've Gone" Melody
- "After You've Gone" Improvisation
- "Bill Bailey"
- "Bill Bailey" Melody
- "Bill Bailey" Improvisation
- "I Ain't Got Nobody"
- "I Ain't Got Nobody" Melody
- "I Ain't Got Nobody" Improvisation
- "Limehouse Blues"
- "Limehouse Blues" Melody
- "Limehouse Blues" Improvisation
- "Rose Room"
- "Rose Room" Melody
- "Rose Room" Improvisation
- "St. James Infirmary"
- "St. James Infirmary" Melody
- "St. James Infirmary" Improvisation
- "St. Louis Blues"
- "St. Louis Blues" Melody
- "St. Louis Blues" Improvisation
- "The Sheik of Araby"
- "The Sheik of Araby" Melody
- "The Sheik of Araby" Improvisation
|New or Used||New|