Fairbanks Electric No. 3 (1892)
This wonderful and rare old Boston-made banjo has a mahogany neck with carved heel and ebony fretboard with nice engraved inlays, a metal clad rim, and Electric (Whyte Laydie) tone ring. Other features include a ~11-7/16" frosted top head and grooved tension hoop. It needs some work and is sold AS-IS (heat press neck, dowel stick reset, dress frets, replace 2 inlays etc.). This instrument is in very good-plus condition. More Details...
Due to treaties that regulate international trade and insure the future availability of certain materials used in the construction of this instrument, additional fees and/or documentation may be required if you ship this item outside of the USA. We'll determine whether the regulations apply to your order, and will contact you with more information if necessary.
Instruments sold “AS-IS” have not been set up by our repair shop and do not come with the Elderly warranty.
Elderly Warranty: None Manufacturer's Warranty: None
The following specs were provided by our repair and appraisal teams. For a more detailed description please call (517) 372-7880
- SN 2561
- Original brownish red finish on neck, rim and dowel stick
- Mahogany neck with carved heel (neck has been shimmed)
- V-shaped neck profile
- 18-fret ebony fingerboard with fancy pearl engraved inlays
- Peghead overlay features fancy pearl engraved inlays
- Tuners are stamped "PAT. MAY 8, 88" with ivoroid buttons
- Newer friction 5th string peg, 2 small repaired cracks by peg
- 30 brackets (11 replaced hooks and nuts, 1 missing)
- Grooved tension hoop
- Electric (Whyte Laydie) tone ring
- Elite tailpiece
- 1-3/16" nut, ~26-5/8" scale
- Dowel stick stamped "ELECTRIC" and "A.C. FAIRBANKS & CO. / ---- MAKERS ---- / BOSTON, MASS."
- With 1950's Lifton HSC (green lining)
- Great banjo with lots of potential but needs some work (heat press neck, dowel stick reset, replace two inlays, replace neck brace bearing, fretwork etc. - sold AS-IS)